For many families, buying a vacation home is a top bucket list item — and for good reason! Not only does a vacation home offer an opportunity for financial investment, but it also allows for special memories to be made in a beautiful, beloved locale.
Sound like something you’re interested in? You’re not alone! But before you hand over that down payment and start packing your bags, there are a few things you should consider. We’ll take a look at a few of them below.
6 Things to Consider Before Buying a Vacation Home
Visiting a vacation home is all fun and games. But the process of purchasing one takes a bit of careful time, thought, and planning. Here’s a list of considerations you can use to make sure you’re on the right track.
1. Where Would You Like Your Vacation Home to Be?
With a vacation home, location is everything! Take some time to sit down and think about all the things you’re looking for in the new place you’ll call “home” for weeks or even months throughout the year.
Perhaps you already have a favorite destination in mind. Maybe you just know the type of area you’re looking for. Or you have no idea where to start — you only know you want a place to get away. Regardless, here are some questions to ask yourself in order to nail down the right vacation home location for you:
- Are you a beach person or a mountain person?
- Do you prefer a place with plenty of peace and quiet, or a place where you can embrace the hustle and bustle of city life?
- Do you enjoy hot temperatures, cold temperatures, or a more moderate climate?
- Are you a foodie that requires a long list of restaurants where you can find your next favorite meal?
- Do you need a destination that has family-friendly activities?
- Do you require frequent medical attention and need to be in close proximity to hospitals or other healthcare facilities?
And these are just some starting points! Think about your lifestyle, what amenities you require or desire, and what location-specific things you need to get the most fulfilling experience out of your vacation home.
2. What Activities and Attractions Are Near Your Vacation Home?
Once you’ve determined a potential location, take a look around (either in-person or online) and scope out what activities and attractions are nearby. Do they align with the activities you currently enjoy or have always wanted to try?
Better yet, try and find a spot with plenty of year-round activities. That way, you’ll be able to make the most of your stays, no matter when you’re able to visit. Also, if you plan to invite friends and family as guests, it’s probably in your best interest to ensure there are activities that they’ll enjoy as well.
3. How Will You Get to Your Vacation Home?
Your vacation home won’t provide the restful, enjoyable time you’re looking for if it’s always a stressful experience getting there. Figure out if you’re keener on driving or flying, and if your desired destination is compatible with that choice.
If you’re hoping to drive, is the destination close enough? If you’re hoping to fly, is your destination near an airport that’s easy to navigate? Thinking about these things ahead of time will save you from future headaches.
At The Vineyards at Stage Pass, we’re just a couple miles drive from Rogue Valley International Medford Airport (MFR). The airport offers nonstop flights to Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Reno, and more. It’s also growing to include more nonstop locations every year.
4. Can You Afford a Vacation Home?
Buying a vacation home can be a hefty investment. Before committing to anything, make sure you’re in a good financial position to secure the type of home you want, in the location you desire, with the amenities you’re looking for — or be willing to compromise on a few of those things to fit within your budget.
Luckily, there are plenty of options for financing a new home, so you can find one that works best for your unique circumstances. It’s just important to take that extra second and ensure this is an investment you’re ready to make.
At The Vineyards at Stage Pass, our team can connect you with our local Umpqua Bank representative to discuss financing options. Their All-In-One Custom Construction Loan Program has been incredibly helpful to Stage Pass homeowners.
5. Should You Buy a Vacation Home or Build One?
We’ve mostly mentioned buying a vacation home — but building one is a great option too! The choice between buying vs. building a home is heavily dependent on your specific needs and wants. We break down the pros and cons of each in this previous blog.
To put it briefly, buying a vacation home is often the quicker, less expensive option. But when you choose to build, you have much more control in constructing the exact home you always dreamed of with the amenities you value the most. It can also be a rewarding experience to watch your project develop from start to finish.
6. How Will Your Vacation Home Be Maintained and Secured While You’re Away?
Vacation homes are for temporary visits, so make sure you think about what you’ll do with the place while you’re back at your main residence. Who will be responsible for maintenance tasks like landscaping, trash, home repair issues? How will you ensure your home is safe and secure in your absence?
Walk through your options. Whether it be help from your HOA, surveillance cameras, or generous neighbors, these things are important to consider in order to maintain the integrity of your place.
At The Vineyards at Stage Pass, our HOA covers a multitude of community expenses that lie outside the building envelope of each lot. These include:
- Walking trail maintenance
- Street sweeping
- Wintertime snow removal and road sanding as necessary
- Periodic pavement maintenance and repair
- Common area landscape maintenance
- Brush management of all natural, non-landscaped portions of the common area
- Entry gates, monuments, lighting, and video security system
- Operation and maintenance of the water system, including well and storage building supplies, system monitoring, and regular water quality assessments
- Utilities associated with the aforementioned common elements
Why Consider Buying (or Building!) a Vacation Home in the Rogue Valley?
Having trouble finding a vacation home location that checks all the boxes? Check out the Rogue Valley! We may be biased, but Rogue Valley real estate offers some of the most underrated vacation properties nationwide.
In recent years, more and more families have discovered what makes the Rogue Valley so special and established vacation homes here. Their reasoning? See below:
- Year-round activities — From skiing the slopes of Mt. Ashland to rafting down the rushing Rogue River, a new adventure always awaits.
- Gorgeous natural landscapes — With mountains, rivers, forests, vineyards, and more, you won’t find better views to wake up to.
- A mixture of peaceful countryside and amenity-filled cities — You can be tucked in a serene, mountainside corner and just minutes away from nearby towns and cities all at once. Everyday essentials, world-class healthcare, great restaurants, and more are just a few miles away.
- Local, growing airport — Rogue Valley International Medford Airport (MFR) is a growing airport with many flight options from major cities across the country — with many more new and planned destinations to be added in the next few years!
- Growing cities with successful business scenes — Invest in a city that’s on the rise, and reap the benefits of being close to nationally recognized businesses.
- Various wine and culinary hot spots — You’ll have endless opportunities to enjoy the Rogue Valley’s award-winning wines, as well as a variety of locally sourced, delicious cuisine.
- Moderate temperatures — Avoid scorching temperatures, but never get so cold that your teeth chatter. The Rogue Valley offers a moderate climate year-round (with seasonal activities to accompany it, of course!).
Build a Beautiful Vacation Home at The Vineyards at Stage Pass
If you’re interested in buying or building a vacation home in the Rogue Valley, there’s no better place to do it than at The Vineyards at Stage Pass. At our master-planned, gated community, you can truly have it all. Build a custom vacation home, be 15 minutes away from the airport, enjoy seasonal activities, drink award-winning wines, and stay in constant awe of the stunning land that surrounds you. How could it possibly get any better?
To learn more about the possibility of building a vacation home at Stage Pass, contact our team for a private tour.